I Made an Internet

    What better way to kick off a new blog than to have the first post be about how I built it?

    I was poking around Github, ran into Jekyll for the 1000th time, and I realized that davecowart.com was no longer pointing anywhere. Naturally, I had to spend an evening or two learning a new tool just so I could regain my tiny stake on the Internet.

    Jekyll is a static site generator, not a blog engine (like Wordpress). This means that I run a task on my machine to "compile" various source files (partial HTML pages, Sass, Ruby, Markdown) into HTML and CSS that I deploy to a server. This means that no database is required, no complex hosting configuration has to be conquered, and all my changes are maintained using Git. Jumping into Jekyll for the first time isn't super-easy, but eventually I found out that the best way to get started is to copy someone else's site as a template and rip it apart. So rip apart I did.

    Once I figured out how to "compile" the site, I wanted a way to continuously compile the Sass files and have the local Jekyll server pick up the changes. The end result was adding this rake task that compiles with compass, then spawns threads for Jekyll and Compass so they can both watch the directory).

    After that, getting the site ready was just a matter of pretending to be a designer and fiddling with the Sass and HTML until I had something that wasn't completely hideous. The end result is this post, which means that this site currently only exists so that you can read a post about how this site was created, which in turn means that this site will probably just collapse into nonexistance any minute now.